Appreciate Your Past Accomplishments - Create a Great New Year!
These first few months of the year are filled with good wishes. We "wish" ourselves and each other the best of the New Year, but we can improve on just wishing. We can actively create it to become our best year in a long time.
One way we can accelerate our New Year's success is to tap into the powerful theory of "Appreciative Inquiry" (or AI as it is often called). A short explanation of this theory is that "you get MORE of whatever you PAY ATTENTION TO." Through reflecting on what has proven to be effective and successful in your life and work, you build on the best parts to create more of what you most value.
Are you ready to give yourself a personalized gift and start the New Year from a powerful stance? Then take time to pave the way to a successful future by appreciating your past accomplishments.
Complete the exercise below and you will begin the process of actively creating your successes in the New Year.
Fill in your own unique responses to the following questions, inspired by a new book, Appreciative Coaching - A Positive Process for Change by authors Sara Orem, Jacqueline Binkert, Ann Clancy (Publisher: Jossey-Bass Business and Management 2007):
1. Describe your three greatest accomplishments in your life/work from 2008:
2. What about each of these accomplishments was most valuable to you?
3. How was your life enhanced as a result of these accomplishments?
4. How can you apply what you gained and/or learned from these accomplishments to create more of what you value in the New Year?
5. From your answers to the previous question, what specifically are you committed to take action on, and by when?
Now, take a peek into your increasingly bright future. Imagine yourself one year from now, and consider these questions:
1. Describe your three greatest accomplishments in your life/work from 2009 in SPECIFIC DETAILS (what, where, when):
2. How did each of these accomplishments contribute to increasing your life/work success?
Throughout the months ahead, remember to focus on what is meaningful to you to create more of it in your life. Here's to Discovering, Dreaming and Designing your great New Year!
Copyright protected worldwide. Gayla Doucet - People Powered Solutions LLC. - The TTI Distributors' Coach